Windsor Athletic Association

Windsor Athletic Association

Windsor Athletic Association began sponsoring local sports in 1973. The association received their charter on May 22,1974. The Founding Charter Members were: Clayt Tourangeau (President and G.M.), John Bedard, John Biafore, Sam Cipparone, Don Daly, Pat Lucier, Jim Nelson, Brian Pape, Ron Poisson, Ron Thompson, Thomas Turner, Patricia Wiseman. Those who have served as WAA President are Clayt Tourangeau (1973 – 82) , Patricia Wiseman (1983) Ron Smith (1984 – 2004). The first teams sponsored by WAA were Sr. Baseball in Essex County League, and Jr. Baseball in Mic Mac League, both in 1973. Some members of that first Senior team were Brian Plenderleith, Rick Bacon, Ron Smith, Ted Coombs, Gary Boismier, John Hodorowicz, Joe Lamantia. WAA has sponsored teams in Windsor Minor Hockey since 1975, and currently contributes the sum of $6000 to sponsor an entire House league Division in Windsor Minor Hockey. WAA has entered team in the Seaway Intermediate Hockey League for a few years, in the mid 1970’s. From 1979 to 1998 WAA entered a team in the Civic Hockey League. Coaching those teams were Bill Gibbs and Mike Erina. In the late 1970’s, for several years WAA sponsored Jr. “C” Windsor Warlocks Lacrosse teams. WAA sponsored teams in Windsor Minor Lacrosse for several years in the 1980’s, and currently sponsor a Bantam (age 13-14) travel team, recent winners of an Invitational Tournament in Calgary. WAA assisted in the founding of Essex County Girls Travel Basketball Association that competed in O.B.A. under 18 Midget & Juvenile Divisions, from 1988 – 91, winning three titles. Bruce Norris was Coach. Windsor Wildcats Girls Fastball receives assistance from...
Club 240

Club 240

Founded by the late Jimmy Hogan, inductee into the Windsor-Essex County Sports Hall of Fame in 1999. Club 240 had its beginnings in 1960, when Jimmy’s kids started playing outdoor hockey at Memorial Park. At that time the only league operating indoors was Midget; the outdoor season was limited to only 7 or 8 games, as the city didn’t allow teams to go beyond the league into the Ontario Minor Hockey Association playdowns (OMHA). Jimmy saw notice about a Pee Wee tournament in Leamington; gathered some kids together; obtained sponsoring from Ford Local 240, of which he was President, and off they went. While there he realized how much further advanced other entries were, and was determined to keep his team going. He started 50-50 draws in the Ford Office, gained $100 or so every month, also held raffles, sold chocolate bars, anything to make a dime. When Jimmy left Ford’s in 1962 for a position with UAW International Union, the money raising programs fell apart. To keep things going or not was now a serious question. That is when he thought about forming a Club. His brother Eddie was one of the founders of the Choristers Athletic Club in 1954, another community Youth Sports Organization. With considerable assistance from Murray Ewing, the first 10 – man Board of Directors was formed, consisting of Jimmy, Ewing, Ed Kornacki, Carl Popkey, Eddie Hogan, John Wood, Art Butcher, Bob Hind, Ron McNamara, Sam Loreto. Jimmy served as President from 1965-74. Club 240’s first sponsored team was the 1965 Windsor Minor Hockey Juvenile entry that included future NHL star Rick Kehoe. Other...
Windsor Choristers Athletic Club

Windsor Choristers Athletic Club

The Windsor Choristers Athletic Club, had its beginning in June of 1954, at a meeting chaired by founder Dr. Walter Spitzig (PHD Psychology), in his classroom at St. Angela Elementary School. The charter members and founding fathers of the Choristers who gathered at the June 1954 meeting were, Walter Spitzig, George McTavish, Eddie Hogan Sr., Wilfred Adam, and Ron Elliott. Longtime President of the Choristers, Spitzig was the pianist for the St. Angela music program and choir, an athletic coach at the school, and the organist and Music Director at Sacred Heart Church. He formed adult male, adult mixed and boys’ choirs at Sacred Heart, and that was the origin for adopting the Choristers A. C. name. He felt the need and the urge to organize boys’ athletic teams with financial aid from his choral groups that performed at concerts locally, such as the Kiwanis and Knights of Columbus Music Festivals, as well as events in Sarnia and Michigan. He felt the need to foster a love for athletics and music. He did not subscribe to the notion that sports activities and musical performance are mutually exclusive or not compatible, that was certainly dispelled with the formation of the Choristers organization, and their outstanding accomplishments throughout Ontario. He believed boys could be singers and athletes, and many members of the Choristers A.C. participated in both endeavours with skill and artistry, at concerts and sports venues in gymnasiums and on playing fields. Windsor Choristers teams have participated in approximately twenty-five plus Ontario Finals. capturing fifteen All-Ontario Championships. The Choristers A. C. began sponsoring youth athletic teams in 1954, entering a...
Alpha Kai Omega

Alpha Kai Omega

The birth of one of Canada’s best known and most respected Youth Sports Organizations took place seventy-two years ago, in 1929, when seven young students at Windsor Walkerville Technical School (later W. D. Lowe High School), formed a Fraternity. The “Magnificent Seven” were Norm Hull, the group’s first President, Bill Begley, Ron Truscott, Jay Love, Ivan Stokes, Jim Fairhurst, and Jack McMillan. The name of the club was selected by one of their teachers, Mr. Siers. It translates to mean “The first and last”. The Fraternity started out sponsoring school, and community dances at the Prince Edward Hotel Ballroom and Lakeview Golf Club, and other fundraising events to support charities, such as the Blind Institute. Their first home was a house they rented on Victoria Ave, between Park and London streets. From there they rented the top floor of the C. H. Smith Department Store to conduct their meetings, then moved to the Walkerville Land & Power Building at Kildare and Wyandotte. That was followed by a move to the Air Force Club huts at Ouellette and Tecumseh, where they remained for many years. Through the ensuing years they have conducted their meetings at such places as the Othmar Grotto Club, Norton Palmer Hotel, Windsor Press Club, Windsor Yacht Club, Top Hat Supper Club, Teutonia Club, Drop-In Tavern, Caboto Club, and the current home at AKO Park. Many of the members were sports enthusiasts, and they organized their own softball team that was very successful in the local Fraternity League in the late 1930’s, with such players as Jimmy Farmer, Mark Wood. Harry Heydon, Harold Jackson, Bill Hudson, and...
Mic Mac Athletic Club

Mic Mac Athletic Club

The Mic Mac Club originated in 1917, to sponsor and promote sports team participation in baseball and football, for young men in the neighbourhood of Park and Church streets. Out of this neighbourhood group grew the real Mic Mac organization, and in the summer of 1918 they formed a baseball team and during the fall season they put together a football team. During the succeeding years up to the late 1930’s, the Mic Mac Club sponsored softball, basketball, baseball, bowling, football and hockey teams. Mic-Mac teams became very well known, but most of their activities were in the Border Cities area, which at that time included Detroit. The football and hockey teams were very successful. In football the Mic Macs were Border Cities’ champions for several years, including a three-year undefeated record in senior or unlimited weight class, against local and Detroit teams in the mid 1920’s. Some of the Detroit teams that oldtimers may remember were: Duster A.C., Oakwood Blue Jackets, Selfridge Field Fliers, and Pinegree A.C. The Mic Macs competed in O.R.F.U. Intermediate competition in 1926, and the Sr. O.R.F.U. against Sarnia Imperials, Hamilton Cats, and Toronto Argonauts in 1929. Three of the stars for the football teams during this era were quarterback Leo “Tatters” Girard, and running backs Bert Foote and Noah Jubenville. Hockey was the most successful Mic Mac team from a championship standpoint. In 1930-31 Mic Macs won the O.H.A. Senior “B” title, defeating the Belleville Cheerios in the finals, then lost to the Hamilton Tigers in the Ontario Senior Finals, as the Tigers earned the right to go on to compete for the...